ACOLA is the forum whereby Australia’s Learned Academies and our Associate Members come together to contribute expert advice to inform national policy; and to develop innovative solutions to complex global problems and emerging national needs.
Our programs, reports and studies
Horizon Scanning Series, 2017- in progress
Horizon Scanning reports draw on expertise from Australia’s Learned Academies. As interdisciplinary studies, ACOLA’s reports include economic, social, cultural and environmental perspectives to inform policy in response to significant scientific and technological changes.
- The Internet of Things: Maximising the benefit of deployment in Australia
- The Role of Energy Storage in Australia’s Future Energy Supply Mix 2017
- The Future of Precision Medicine in Australia 2018
- Synthetic Biology in Australia: An outlook to 2030 2018
- The effective and ethical development of artificial intelligence: An opportunity to improve our wellbeing 2019
- The future of agricultural technologies 2020
Securing Australia’s Future Series, 2012-2016
In June 2012, the Australian Government announced Securing Australia’s Future, a series of strategic research projects designed to provide research-based evidence to support policy development in areas of importance to Australia’s future, delivered to the Australian Chief Scientist and the Commonwealth Science Council.
- Australia’s comparative advantage 2015
- STEM: Country comparisons 2013
- Smart engagement with Asia: Leveraging language, research and culture 2015
- The role of science, research and technology in lifting Australian productivity 2014
- New technologies and their role in our security, cultural, democratic, social and economic systems 2015
- Engineering energy: unconventional gas production 2013
- Australia’s agricultural future 2015
- Sustainable urban mobility 2015
- Translating research for economic and social benefit – country comparisons 2015
- Capabilities for Australian enterprise innovation 2016
- Australia’s Diaspora Advantage: Realising the potential for building transnational business networks with Asia 2016
- Securing Australia’s Future: Program Review 2016
- Research training system review 2016
Other commissioned work and activities
- Stimulating the science and research ecosystem creates jobs and investment 2020
- Australia’s Progress in the 21st Century 2013 (PDF)
- Career Support for Interdisciplinary Researchers 2012 (PDF)
National Academies Forum (NAF) Series, 1995-2010
The National Academies Forum (NAF) was established in 1995 as the peak organisation for the four Australian Learned Academies. It was succeeded in 2010 by the Australian Council of Learned Academies.