Interested in working for ACOLA?
We are currently looking for a Company Secretary to join our team on a part-time basis in Canberra. To find out more about this position, please see further details below.
Position Description, Duty Statement and Selection Criteria
|Posted:||1 November 2021|
|Closing:||12 November 2021 (by 5pm)|
|Position Title:||Company Secretary|
|Appointment:||Part-time (36 days pa), 12 month fixed-term employment contract|
|Location:||Canberra, ACT 2600|
|Reporting to:||CEO, Board Chair|
|Direct reports:||No direct reports|
|Remuneration:||$18,400 pa, inclusive of 15% superannuation.
As a registered charity, ACOLA also offers salary sacrifice opportunities.
Role of the Company Secretary
The Company Secretary is responsible for providing secretarial support to the Chair of the Board and the CEO. The Company Secretary will work closely with both the CEO, and the Chair of the Board in managing the full Board process, including setting of meetings, the preparation and dissemination of meeting papers, meeting attendance, and record keeping ensuring corporate compliance.
- Responsible for ASIC and ACNC lodgements and reporting
- Support a Board of 6 Directors (the Presidents of the 5 Learned Academies and the CEO)
- Provide effective governance and compliance support to the Board, Audit Committee and CEO
- Attendance and secretarial support to the Board; meets 3 times a year (currently, meetings are virtual, and for up to 2 hours each)
- Provide secretarial support to the Audit, Finance and Risk Committee, which meets 3 times a year (currently, meetings are virtual but will be face to face in Canberra when possible, and for up to 1.5 hours each)
- Provide secretarial support to the Research Committee, which meets once a year (currently meetings are virtual, and for about 1 hour)
- Managing board processes including meetings, documentation and records
- Expertise and responsibility for corporate governance requirements including advising the Board of regulatory changes and responsibility for statutory obligations.
- Managing the Board and Audit and Research committees’ SharePoint sites and working with the Chair/CEO on induction of directors
- Leadership guidance, technical support and advice to the Board and CEO
- Manage reviews and updating of organisation policies.
Key attributes, skills and experience
- Tertiary qualifications, graduated or enrolled in the Grad Dip of Applied Corporate Governance Course with the Governance Institute
Required skills and experience
- Experience in a Board or company secretary role
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills
- Strategic thinking skills
- Innovative, ethical, and forward-thinking mindset
- Excellent time management and prioritisation skills, including the capacity to work to tight deadlines, and a demonstrated ability to work both autonomously and in a small team.
Desirable skills and experience
- A minimum of 5-years’ experience in relevant roles.
- A general knowledge and understanding of research and policy issues.
Benefits and culture
- Opportunities to meet and engage with Australia’s leading minds, including opportunities to attend briefings and seminars on a range of emerging technologies and critical issues ACOLA and its members are progressing.
- Remuneration of up to $18,400 pa, inclusive of 15% superannuation
- As a registered charity for tax purposes, ACOLA employees can access attractive salary packaging opportunities, including mortgage payments, rent, meals and entertainment.
Other role-related information
- Time commitment is 36 days per year, nominally 1 day a month, with additional days around each meeting for preparations and recording requirements.
- Applicants must have permission to work in Australia
- Interstate travel may be required from time to time.
- Occasional out of office hours work may be required.
To apply for this role please submit your application by email to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5pm, Friday 12 November 2021.
Applications should include: a cover letter (1 page), a statement of claims that responds to the selection criteria and why you are passionate about the role with ACOLA (2 pages max), and a CV with contact details for at least two referees.
To discuss your interest in the role please contact the ACOLA CEO, Ryan Winn by email (email@example.com) or by phone during business hours (0484 814 040).